Friday, November 04, 2005

Gotta love it.

This past tuesday was my favorite day of the year. It was Diwali. You wouldn't think it would be my prized gem out of 364 other days of mediocrity, but it is. I love it. It's the only day of the year where I can recollect no sad memories. I have always been happy on that day, as far back as I can remember. But, going back to the previous, you would think that I wouldnt like it, because of it's religious importance, and christmas-like fanfare. That is true, but the holiday doesn't hold any significance for me in that sense at all. It's all about people you love. My parents, my family, and now my dog...because yes, this was Apollo's first Diwali @ home! I must try to make it home for Diwali every year. I had a very reflective experience, even though it was but a few hours that I was in Rochester, but wonderful nonetheless. I realized a little bit where home was, and reconfirmed my previous notions. I'm positive as to where home is now, and I'm lucky, I have 4. I remembered a bit of the things that matter much more than life. I found a little bit of peace. And of course I relieved the same ol' traditions, but they had a newness and excitement, just like they do every year. It doesn't matter. I like Diwali just the same. My favorite part, is the special things I do with my parents. I get to put out the dia's (candles) with my mom, all over the house. And it's the only day of the year where all lights are encouraged to be on. It is a day that is unique from every celebration around the planet. It makes me happy that at least some things never change-or don't very often...I get choked up just thinking about it. Then there's my dad. It's the only time he ever consistently wears authentic cultural clothing. I worry about him sometimes. I feel as if he rejects his heritage, his family, his roots. It reminds me that he hasn't forgotten where he's come from when he simply wears those clothes. He inspires me to do the same. He inspires me to remember who I am. It was almost perfect. But as she says, "everythings perfect." Not a surprise, she's right. Everything is perfect, and perfect it will remain.-"...Caught in between ten and twenty and I'm just dreamin'...countin' the ways to where you are..."- Posted by Picasa

No comments: