Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Being Critical

Sometimes I cannot believe the kids that come to the University of Michigan. I'm sitting in the study annex by the large window looking into the fishbowl, and this girl is cracking me up. I hope shes a freshmen, I don't I could stand listening to people like this for 3.5 more years.

She is really nice, quite a sweet person in fact, but...complaining.

I just listened to her complain on the telephone to a friend about the massive work load, and staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning, mind you in great detail, and then continue about more commitments with some school age kids for a job.

It was just as bad as listening to a mundane conversation about the weather. Weather can be interesting at time, and so can complaints, if there is some original thought that comes from it.

It makes me wonder if I will become one of those, who instead of working hard and accomplishing goals will call my friends on the phone, complain, see another friend passing by, complain, then stare into the fishbowl, and finally not really accomplish anything for about 15 minutes.

That's one thing I don't like about this university, it seems as if people play up their schedules and workload as if someone is going to give them a ribbon for their nobility.

Thankfully, I've noticed this and have attempted to be more chill about my workload with other people...afterall, what does it accomplish. I think that we should all strive to help eachother through rougher days, provide comfort, and encourage ourselves and our friends that they can get through it. Afterall, no matter how many people you complain to, it's not going to make calculus any easier.

No comments: