Sunday, May 10, 2009

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, stupid.

I don't know when or where I came across this acronym (K.I.S.S: Keep it simple, stupid), probably in a business book. But it makes a lot of sense.


I suspect that questions about how one should live life, is one that rests on the minds of many. You know, variations on "How to live a meaningful life?" or "What does it mean to be a good person?", all that jazz. Ideas about "figuring out life", you know what forms of expression these ideas take.


I used to think questions like this were pretty complicated, and hard to understand and in turn hard to figure out. But, I'm not so sure anymore. It might be pretty simple. I mean, it's easy to find answers to how to live a good life, it's almost painfully obvious. And, maybe this is easy for someone who has had a privileged upbringing to say...I acknowledge that. But let's assume these for the privileged, even though I think it's still pretty simple regardless of background.


Be nice. Make good friends. Don't lie. Learn. Diet and exercise. Play. Spend time outside. Adhere to the golden rule. Show respect. Don't be too selfish. Work hard. Have a reasonably good attitude. These are only a few examples. The list goes on, but I'm sure it's not too hard too add many many more ideas. We all know how this list goes. It's like fishing in a barrel to list them out.


So, what are the forces that hold people back from living by these simple ideas?


Well it seems like there are 3 things than can happen.


1. Lack of action - Knowing something and doing something are different. In other words, apathy and/or laziness. Simple enough.

2. Aversion to risk - It's hard to be bold, and transforming ones behavior/attitude requires a sufficient amount of risk. In other words, fear holds people back.

3. Pleasure - Some people seem like they over-aggress and take advantage of the folks who keep it simple. For example, why diet and exercise if lyposuction is an option? Why not cheat if you get the same results but can "have fun" with all the time is saved. In other words, hedonism gets in the way.


For the record, I find keeping it simple and doing the "simple things" pleasurable.


I think points 1 and 2 are not a big deal, those are leadership problems. People can be coached through apathy and fear. But, I can't figure out how to deal with the pursuit of pleasure, especially the short-term, less costly pleasures.


Although, I don't think it's "natural" to be hedonistic and pleasure seeking... so, would it really be that hard to coach others out of being scrupulously and viciously utilitarian? I guess I don't see the state of nature exactly as Hobbes did.


Nontheless, hedonism is more difficult because it's not a leadership problem, it's a deeply individual choice I think...something that leadership alone can't intervene in. It requires...as Joey says...for everyone to be "leaders". It requires a culture building and culture changing.


Which get's me to a question that I often consider: what does it take to reform, recreate or reaffirm a culture?


How does one combat hedonism? Or even leverage it for virtue instead of selfishness?


1 comment:

Brad said...

Interesting questions, man.

I don't know if one can "combat" hedonism. Combat sounds as if you're directly opposing, or fighting. If reform is your objective, directly opposing someone's own self-interest will certainly make you more enemies than friends. I think you divert the river, rather than building a dam. Divert someone's pleasure to make it work for your culture. "Neil! If you promise you won't steal a cup of lemonade from my stand, I will give you a free one after I close." This certainly won't solve all your problems, but I think it is a start.