Saturday, December 24, 2011

Why I shop online

Why do people treat my parents different because they're older and speak with an accent? They get talked down to all the time, in latent ways that barely anyone hears. Growing up in Oakland County, MI you think that people are above that, but they can't help it.

Even people in Detroit are more welcoming, accepting and inclusive. It's infuriating to see people I care about get treated with such disrespect. And, it's also infuriating that I, as many others in America of Asian descent are subject to, am percieved as being an uppity minority that's being accusatory if I suggest that folks are exuding xenophobia.

There's no winning this, what will it take to not feel like a minority in America?

This is one of my problems which are not "first world", this stuff is real. This is also a major reason why I shop online, a lot - there's less opportunity for Agent groups to take it out on me and my family, simply because they can and/or don't understand that they're behaving in a way that's incredibly deflating.

Thank goodness (most) of my friends don't intentionally or unintentionally subscribe to latent racism. I wish others were as lucky.

No comments: