Sunday, September 13, 2009

Early September, Part II - Early Childhood Education

Lots of people advocate for education--access, k-12, higher ed., etc. I'm glad they do. I haven't really been bit by the Education reform bug...not more than any other left-leaning independent anyway.

But early childhood education, I'm sold that's the best solution we've got.

I don't really mean to talk about politics here, but just write an expression of thanks.

I'm so lucky to have the parents I did. They read to me, read with me, and had me read to them...all starting by the time I was three. They brought me up with two languages. They had me doing times-tables and math from a really early age. My dad started showing me pre-algebra a few years before it was introduced in school.

It got me started learning really early in life. They supplemented my schooling in ways that were invaluable.

That shouldn't be considered "lucky".

No comments: