Friday, August 04, 2006

Wants/Personal Update

In the past few years, I have spent many moons thinking about basic human wants. In the past few hours, I think I have arrived at a working set of "wants". I ask, please review them, and comment and discuss...especially if you think I'm missing something. I'm not entirely sure if I am, but please comment. Also, please bear in mind that these categories may be inclusive (or for that matter exclusive) of what you may consider more primary wants. But, the fact that we may use different words to describe the same things is interesting in itself.

List:

1. To have peace.
2. To be loved.
3. To be free.
4. To have purpose.

I think that this is the order, as well. Please let me know if you think that the order is out of whack as well.

Now...the issue is. Knowing what I want, and not knowing how to get it. It's damn stressful. We'll...yes, it is. If I wasn't thinking about it, it would mean I'd become complacent. I'll pass on complacency. 'Live' is an active verb, ("He lived" versus "He was lived."). If you don't live actively, make it by choice. Meaning, if you choose to take a step back and go with the flow, don't let it be a rationalization of inaction. Be strong. Press on. (this was my self-taught lesson of the day--thoughts about self-study are to come later, I'm sure.)

------PERSONAL UPDATE------
I arrived in Detroit Thursday.
I'm leaving for Seattle on Saturday morning. My father and I are driving there because has accepted a job in Washington State. He needs a car there, which in my world means roadtrip. I will be arriving in Michigan late Saturday evening (12th of August).
I leave for school late-week, around the 23rd-24th of August, whatever that Thursday/Friday is.
24-bash's date will be set on the road somewhere. Check your facebooks ladies and gents.
My freshmen tour of Ann Arbor will be announced as well.
Call me while I'm gone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wrong order neil:

1) To have purpose - because humans are productive creatures and I also think that this gives us the peace you mentioned. I think purpose is essential to happiness and that feeling useless is the most depressing thing ever
2) To be loved...yea. I think these first two actually belong side by side.

That's all. With the pursuit of passions and goals (purpose) and love comes happiness, peace, and everything else that is truly important.

Shruti


P.S I loved our spontaneous convos about life last year. Hopefully we won't totally lose contact even if you aren't living a floor below me. :)

P.S.S Define Freedom