Saturday, July 01, 2006

Woops.

I apologize for the hiatus, I didn't really enter the blogsphere this week. I realized that I forgot about the weekly This I Believe session. Here it is, I figure that it is better late then never.

9:00 PM --Start to think of a topic.

9:04 PM -- Mind is wandering.

9:08 PM -- Let's Begin

I have a bad habit, sometimes it bad, embarassing, or inappropriate. Usually though, nobody really minds, and I love it. I sing. I dance. But...the scandalous part it, I do it all in public. Furthermore, I do it on the street corner.

And, I'm going to do it again. And again.

It's not a terrible thing because I'm off key (which I am), or that I dance like a horny hooligan (I lost interest in that years ago), but it's just that I do it so publicly. On street-corners, in subway stations, in line at restaurants, everywhere. Most of the time it's unnoticed, sometimes I get a smile or two, and sometimes others get terribly uncomfortable or embarassed. The sidewalk becomes a stage. It's really cool.

And, It's very healthy.

It's an exercise in freedom. It's a challenge to a comfort zone. It keeps me on my toes. It's liberating. It forces me to slow down and breathe. It's time to myself.

Really though, I do it for the sake of being a contrarian. It's a quick jab in the mouth of the stupid side of civilization. Since when did it become so necessary to be formal on the commute across town? Singing on the street has the net-effect of posting a billboard that says 'For crissakes, loosen up."

I think it's silly to feel awkward in a public place when saying 'bless you' to a stranger, or sitting in silence on a plane/metro/restaurant. Why are we avoiding eachother. We're all human, we're all in the same place, we all are wearing clothes...why perpetuate this discomfort with eachother.

This simple notion seems to translate into other areas. Let me put it into the form of a question. Would nations get along better if world leaders weren't so uptight in their daily lives? Wouldn't making friends with strangers expand world-views and foster more understand, fellowship, and cooperation?

I'm not prepared to leave these questions unanswered. To my knowledge, these things can matter a lot. I think constantly improving the atmosphere may go unnoticed in the present, but is invaluable in the future. Societal norms are the sort of things that need chipping away at. They take time, and effort, and collaboration.

Singing and dancing in public is one of the ways I do my part to "make the world a better place", I guess. I believe in it. Think of it this way, If I'm being awkward in public, everyone else doesn't have to. Haha.


Once again, I am putting in a plug for The This I Believe series.

This I believe Homepage

No comments: