Friday, June 09, 2006

Birthdays and other thoughts

Last year, my birthday was a bust. My family remembered, pretty much nobody else did.

This year was different. Many people called, left facebook messages, and the people down my hall decorated my door and made me a brownie cake (both of which were surprises). I was definitely pleased; I didn't expect to be so far away from home and my closest of friends. It was as almost as good as it could've been--a Jones Soda would have made the evening a 10/10.

I'm kind of funny in that way, though I suppose many others are like minded. I don't like making a big deal on my birthday, but I like it when people remember. Birthdays are my favorite days of the year. Some how they're special, even though the commemerate a milestone that happens on the same date every year. Why is that?

Well, hmmm. Maybe because humans value life so damn much. Maybe we need an excuse to celebrate. Maybe we're taught to value birthdays because our ancestry didn't make it to as many as we do now. That seems like a good reason. Parents also are the ones that control birthdays, or plan early birthdays rather, and kids are kind of a big deal to them.

Anyway, thanks to all the b-day wishes (I'll reply all the facebook messages as soon as I can)!


In other news, Tom Delay is out for the count. I'm sure nobody will miss him. Not because he's lame and has no friends...but there's little doubt in my mind that he'll ever leave Washington.

Any guesses on the issues and companies he'll be lobbying for?


Also in other news. It was quite an exciting week on the Hill. The Federal Marriage Amendment (which failed miserably) was introduced and the GOP publicity stunt is complete. However, I write not in praise or even in disgust over the aforementioned legislation, but to question it.

I confess, I have a serious blindspot when it comes the gay rights issue. It's unsettling because I don't even begin to understand the other side. To me it seems like the biggest double standard of our times--isn't it a blatant reduction in civil rights?

Yes, it doesn't say anything about rights or have any semantic reference to rights. But, it's an effective poll tax...it places a qualification on who can get married, similar to how poll taxes and literacy tests placed qualifications on who could vote. I can't even buy for a minute arguments about destroying the family, or the 'sanctity of marriage' either. The way I see it there factors that destroy the family are based on communication, sacrifice, and contempt. I can't even begin to see how homosexuality is the reason. The only line of reasoning I remotely understand is that daunting phrase "the bible says homosexuality is wrong".

I understand that religious views are powerful, and understand discrimination based on religious view, not that I would ever do it, thinks its necessary, or condone it. Also, religious beliefs are a funny thing because they're not necessarily set completely in stone--as I understand it several denominations of christianity are more open and accept gays into their congregations. Is god judging one and not the other? How does this work?

Right now I stand down on any further discourse on the merits or demerits of both sides of the issue. I only ask:

Someone explain to me, or point me in the direction of someone who can. Not someone who assumes premises, or anything, someone who can rationally explain to me why people hold the view that the Federal Marriage Act should be passed.

No comments: